Internet of Things in FMCG and Retail - Thematic Research
Imagine a world where your fridge can detect that you are running out of milk and order it while you are asleep. Or where your home thermostat automatically lowers the temperature when you leave the house and raises it the moment you return. The “Internet of Things” (IoT) refers to a world where various devices are connected to the internet with a view to automating more of our lives, saving energy, and making industrial processes run more efficiently.
We are still early in this technology cycle. As yet, there are no common standards, so it is difficult to predict any long-term winners and losers. However, executives need to understand IoT because it will soon morph into a mega theme. Inside, our analysis offers a framework in which to look at IoT, summarizing the important trends and identifying the key players.
Opportunities for FMCG companies to develop smart tech are growing as consumer demands and IoT technology continue to evolve. Smart tools give consumers newfound abilities to monitor and manage their lifestyles. On the same time, IoT devices are being used to enhance customer experience in stores through interactive terminals that react to movement, tools for creating a virtual or augmented reality experience, and robots as smart sales assistants.
In-store marketing can be better tailored to customers by displaying targeted messages on digital signage screens or mobile devices when sensors and cameras can detect customers’ gender, approximate age, group size, or facial expressions. Various leading retailers have successfully implemented IoT solutions for their stores and supply chains, including Amazon, Walmart, Kroger, Ocado, and Levi’s, as well as various smaller fashion retailers. However, many retailers still lack a viable IoT strategy.
The report "Internet of Things in FMCG and Retail - Thematic Research", is built on a unique thematic methodologyfor valuing Technology, Telecom, Retail and FMGC companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. The report is Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together, how conflicting themes might interact with one another and the ability to identify which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats.
Companies Mentioned: Akamai, Amazon, Apple, ARM, Atmel, Broadcom, CalAmp, Cisco, Ericsson, F5 Networks, General, Electric (GE), Google, IBM, Infoblox, Intel, Microchip, Microsoft, NXP/, Freescale, Qualcomm, Samsung, SAP, Software AG, Splunk, AlertMe, Arqiva, Arrayent, August, Ayla, Networks, Balyo, Belkin, BigBelly, Canary, DroneShield, Electric Imp, Evrythng, Fitbit, Libelium, Neul, Nordic Semiconductor, Oort, Tado, Thingsquare, Alibaba, Burberry, Farfetch, Kroger, Levi’s, Lowe’s, Lululemon, Macy’s, Next, Ocado, Rite Aid, Target, Unilever, The Coca-ColaCompany, L’Oreal, Nestlé
This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our “thematic engine”. About our Thematic Research Ecosystem -
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalData’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
Reasons to buy
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Technology trends in IoT 5
IoT trends in retail and consumer goods 10
VALUE CHAIN 13
Device layer 13
Connectivity Layer 15
Data Layer 17
App Layer 19
INDUSTRY ANALYSIS 20
The standards battle 20
Market size and growth forecasts 23
The four stages of IoT development 28
Competitive analysis 28
Mergers and acquisitions 30
IMPACT OF IOT ON RETAIL AND FMCG 34
Retail and FMCG case studies 35
Key recommendations for retailers and FMCG companies 38
Key recommendations for IT vendors 39
COMPANIES SECTION 40
Public tech companies 40
Private tech companies 45
Retail and FMCG companies 47
TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING 50
The six big IoT market segments 50
Navigating the IoT value chain 52
APPENDIX: OUR “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 54
Global Emerging Technology Trends Survey 2018: Focus on the Internet of Things - Thematic Research This survey was designed to help understand current attitudes of business leaders towards the Internet ofView Report
Global Point-To-Multipoint Communication System Market to reach USD 1300 million by 2025. The Point-to-Multipoint communication system market is developing and expanding at a significant pace. The Point-to-Multipoint is on the surgingView Report
With a value chain that extends from the retailers warehouse to the store and into the hands of consumers, as well as increasingly across the Internet, the retail segment offersView Report
Delivery Details : Electronic files (PDF) of market research reports will dispatched within 12 to 24 hours. (Mon-Fri IST)
If a particular report is not as per your requirement you can choose "Customized Report". To visit click on -Custom Research Reports