Indian Railways welcomes Artificial intelligence through AI integration in the rail-track schedule. Government sector envisions AI-powered government services sooner than later.
A recent update on the railway suggested how Indian railways plan to finally bring technology to play the needful time-game. Now, Artificial intelligence (AI) shall be able to become an instrument in determining the condition of rail tracks.
Unplanned track maintenance leading to clutter is not new to the Indian railways. Passengers suffer the most as they plan their schedule as per journey timings. It all ends up with disturbance and delays due to the last-minute repairs of the track, making passengers the victim.
The technology will help Indian Railways to make a repair and replacement schedule. Demonstrating the technique shall contribute to improving the punctuality of trains. How has Indian Railways outlined AI in the wheel-work? Here’s how!
- Sundays will be assigned for all the large maintenance blocks to mitigate the impact of delays in the train schedules.
- Automatic track detection machines for the national transporter shall be employed soon.
- These machines will be integrated with AI which will help the railway team to predict the life of tracks and track joints.
Is this the introduction of AI to the Indian Government practices?
The first mention by the government on AI was made in the finance budget 2018 where the ministry mandated NITI Aayog to establish the National Program on AI. The AI for all program today intends to boost tech research and development in the new and emerging areas.
Although Artificial Intelligence has begun becoming a part of the Indian business and lifestyle, there haven’t been many universities or industry research is not to a greater extent unlike the case in other countries. No prominent move for boosting AI applications in the government services was highly disappointing in the global economies, however, it ended in 2017 with the aforementioned speech.
The government of India later set up an AI taskforce for the deployment and encouragement of AI in every possible sector of the government. The task force aims to identify the different facets of the government services where AI can be incorporated. It anticipates the enhanced quality of work for Indian state and economy and better services for citizens.
- Technology for the differently abled
- National security
- Public utility services
The vision of NITI Aayog in the AI research:
Of course! The research is put into force in the various governmental industry verticals, however, the primary emphasis has been education and healthcare. Here’s what it looks forward to_
- Healthcare: increased access and affordability of quality healthcare,
- Agriculture: enhanced farmers’ income, increased farm productivity, and reduction of wastage,
- Education: improved access and quality of education,
- Smart Cities and Infrastructure: efficient and connectivity for the burgeoning urban population,
- Smart Mobility and Transportation: smarter and safer modes of transportation and better traffic congestion problems
The new update of Indian railways AI integration is only a commencement for the modest AI move of the government of India. If the government plans to continue to emphasize the AI application in its which it has already begun doing, the AI-based programs shall enable govt to take the much-needed big leap in its workforce.
Not only will the integration help the Indian government to cut costs, but also will it put labor hours for ‘humanly and critical tasks’ ultimately delivering enhanced and faster output. Thinking from the global perspective, India stands far behind in the governmental AI applications, although, the recent update reckon new beginnings.
– Written by Gauri Ludbe