Semiconductors - Global Thematic ResearchSummary
The $350 billion global semiconductor industry is fast approaching what evolutionary biologists call punctuated equilibrium. After five decades of the metronomic tick of Moores Law - which led to smaller, better, faster and cheaper chips every year - technological advance is slowing and fabrication costs are rising as transistor geometries approach atomic scale thereby yielding thermal problems and quantum weirdness.
This report looks at the changing direction of the semiconductor sector and, in particular, how Chinas desire to become a global player may impact investors.Scope
- This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our thematic engine.
- About our Thematic Research Ecosystem
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalDatas thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalDatas thematic engine help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.Reasons to buy
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Publisher Name : GlobalData
THE CHIP INDUSTRY HAS HIT A TECHNOLOGICAL BRICK WALL
Moores Law means more shrinkage means more cost
Meanwhile the technology giants need more power from their chips
WHERE IS THE CHIP INDUSTRY HEADING?
The chip industry is no longer fit for purpose
The industrys customers rather than its producers are designing its new products
Many of these new chip products may be custom-made for the Internet giants
The key players have resorted to M&A
But Chinese bids are likely to face continued resistance
NXP, ST Micro and Infineon
Intel and Qualcomm
Integrated circuit designers
Integrated device manufacturers
Markets by end device and application
Market share analysis
APPENDIX: OUR THEMATIC RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
There is no reviews available for this report