Payments Landscape in Japan: Opportunities and Risks to 2021Summary
GlobalDatas "Payments Landscape in Japan: Opportunities and Risks to 2021", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Japanese cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, credit transfers, payment cards, and cheques during the review-period (2013-17e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2017-21f). It also offers information on the countrys competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalDatas research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Japanese cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Japanese cards and payments industry, including debit and credit cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, credit transfers, cheques, and payment cards. It also, includes an overview of the countrys key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Japanese cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit and credit cards.Scope
- Card and payment companies are adopting advanced technology such as biometric authentication. In January 2018, JCB announced it is set to trial multipurpose server-based visible light palm authentication at its headquarters in Tokyo. To carry out the trial, the company collaborated with Universal Robot and the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology. The test will use Universal Robots visible light palm authentication to assess technical aspects during registration and payment flow. A smartphone camera will be used to capture the print and vein patterns of the palm; this information will be stored on a server, where authentication will be performed and results will be returned to the phone.
- Uptake of alternative payments is gaining traction. One of the newest solutions is QuickPass, introduced by UnionPay and Sumitomo Mitsui Card Company in December 2017. The solution enables consumers to pay at more than 100 merchants in Tokyu Plaza Ginza by tapping UnionPay chip cards with QuickPass functionality and QuickPass-enabled mobile phones. In December 2016, Google introduced Android Pay in collaboration with Japan-based online retailer Rakuten Edy, while in October 2016 Apple introduced the Apple Pay mobile payment solution, enabling consumers to make contactless in-store, in-app, and online payments with cards stored in the wallet.
- Payment solution providers are introducing new products to enhance payment card security. For instance, France-based IDEMIA partnered with JCB to launch the F-Code payment card in Japan in November 2017. The payment card offers improved security and privacy by replacing PIN codes with fingerprint authentication. In January 2018, Sumitomo Mitsui partnered with US-based payment platform provider Dynamics to launch a credit card with locking capability. Set to be released in the Japanese market during 2018, the card will feature touch-activated buttons, LED lights, and an LCD display. The touch buttons can be used by card holders to set a password that is entered to activate the card during each use. Upon activation the integrated LCD will display the card number, and the magnetic stripe and IC chip functions will remain active as long as the number is displayed.Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Japanese cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Japanese cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Japanese cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Japan.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Japanese cards and payments industry.
Publisher Name : GlobalData